How to Move from Blogger to WordPress
How to Move from Blogger to WordPress
If you have an existing blogger site and you want to move to wordpress, this article is for you.
Why Move from Blogger to WordPress?
Even though, It takes a lot more time to setup WordPress You can do a lot more with it than a blogger.
For example, there is something called plugins in WordPress Which helps you add new features to your website.
So, let’s say you want to add a live chat to your site, you can do it, just by installing a plugin in WordPress and finally, WordPress also helps you to build your own website, just like this, by using drag & drop.
Also Read : How to Make a Website in 10 mins — Simple & Easy
Steps to Move from Blogger to WordPress Website
Now to move blogger site, to WordPress, we’re going to do 3 things:
Step 1: We’re going to ‘save’ the contents of the blogger site, into a file.
Step 2: we’re going to launch a New WordPress site and then finally.
Step 3: we’ll import the blogger content into WordPress website.
Step 4: Get our old blogger links work properly.
Step 1: ‘save’ the contents of the blogger site, into a file
The First Step is to ‘Save’ our blog’s content, into a file So to save the blog’s content, let’s go to our Blogger Dashboard.
Now make sure your blog is selected, here and then go into ‘Settings’ And go into ‘Other’ Now click ‘Backup content’ And ‘save to your computer’.
So now you can see that we’ve downloaded our blog content in this file. Next, let’s go to step 2 Which is to launch a new wordpress site.
Step 2: launch a New wordpress site
So to launch a new WordPress site, Just click here, And it’ll take you to the hostinger page So to launch a new WordPress site, we’re going to do 3 things.
- First, we’re going to choose a Name for our website So you can choose any name you want. I’m going to type my name here So, I’m going to type “pctechi.com” & then click search you can see that the name is available.
- So, Once you get the name We need to then buy that name & get our hosting account So to get hosting & domain click here.
- This will take you to hostinger.in, where we are going to buy the hosting So let’s scroll down to choose your hosting plan.
- We will recommend you to buy Premium Web Hosting plan which includes a free domain name.
- Now on the cart page enter the same name that you choose and click ‘Search’ then you see your free domain will be added in the cart.
- So you can see that we’re getting our domain, And our hosting Both of these are going to be valid for 1 year.
- So to complete the purchase Let’s click ‘register’ And I will quickly fill up the details and click ‘Create account’.
- Now click ‘Add payment’ and choose your payment method Enter the details And click ‘next’ Now click complete to make the payment and it’s done.
- So now we’ve completed the payment & we’ve got our domain & hosting Which means we can now install wordpress.
Also Read : How to Install WordPress in 3 Simple Steps
So to install WordPress, let’s click “autoinstaller” And click ‘Get started’ Now just select the domain name you’ve purchased.
And click ‘Next’ then again ‘Next’ And now you need to enter a username and password for WordPress.
This will be used when you login to WordPress So, I’m going to type my name and the password and then click ‘Install’.
So now we’re installed WordPress So, let’s click ‘Get Started’ Now let’s skip this by clicking ‘No Thanks’ and ‘OK’.
So now we have reached our WordPress Dashboard. This is the place from where you can control your website.
Now if you want to come to this page again, you just have to enter, ‘slash(/) login’, after your domain name.
And it will take you to your dashboard. So once you reach this page, your new WordPress site should be live.
So to check that Let’s go to our domain name Which is pctechi.com and press ‘Enter’.
So now we’ve launched our new WordPress site Which means we can now go to STEP 3 Which is to Bring in the blogger content into wordpress.
Also Read : What is a Domain Name?
Step 3: Import the Blogger content into WordPress website
So to import our blogger content, let’s go to WordPress And then go to ‘tools’ and click ‘Import’
Now as we’re going to import the blogger content, Let’s click ‘install now’ next to blogger And then click ‘run importer’.
Now let’s choose the file which we want to import So select the file which you downloaded from blogger, in step 1 And click, ‘Upload file and import’.
Now click ‘Submit’ to start the import and all the blogger’s content will be imported into wordpress.
So now, let’s take a look at our site. Now if we scroll down, you can see that all our content has been imported from blogger Right now, we have the default wordpress theme.
Next, we’ll quickly change this theme so that our site looks a bit better. So to change the theme go “Appearance” and click “themes”.
And you’ll see the default themes, which are available on your site But we’re going to Add a new one, by clicking ‘add new’ And then go into popular.
Also Read : How to Improve your WordPress Website Security
And choose any theme you want from here I’m going to choose Astra theme Just Click install to get the theme into your site And click ‘activate’, to apply the theme.
So now we have changed our website’s theme, Now let’s click refresh And as you can see our website’s design has changed.
So we saw how we can import the content & change the design of our site. Now let’s go to the final step, which is to get our old blogger links working.
Step 4: Get our old blogger links work properly
So by doing this, when people go to your old link It will redirect to the same blog post on the new WordPress site. This will ensure people are still able to access your site, through the old links.
Your old links will still work and bring people to the same posts which are now on WordPress Now, This will also help you keep your google rankings, you’ve gained on your blogger.
So to get the old links working we’re going to do 2 things 1st, we’re going to Change the settings in WordPress, to match our new website links with the Blogger links
- So to change the settings Let’s go to our dashboard and click ‘Settings’ Now first, we’ll change the time zone here Choose your location and Click ‘Save’
- Now go to ‘Permalinks’ And choose Month and Name as this is the format which blogger uses and we want to match with that And then click ‘Save Changes’.
- Now we are done with the settings part. Next let’s install the wordpress plugin which will redirect our old blogger links to our new-site, pctechi.com.
- So to install the plugin, let’s go to our Dashboard And then go to ‘Plugins’ And click ‘add new’ now search for ‘Blogger to WordPress’ And install the plugin So let’s click ‘Install’ and then ‘Activate’.
- So the plugin is now installed on our site. Now to set it up, let’s go to ‘Tools’ and then click ‘Blogger to WordPress redirection’.
- Now let’s click ‘start configuration’ And it will show you the blogger site, which you’ve imported into wordpress. So we’ll click the ‘get code’ button, next to it And it will show you something like codes.
- Now to setup the redirection we need to add this code into blogger, so that it can redirect the visitors to our new website.
- So to enable the redirection let’s select and copy this code And then go to Blogger And go to Theme Then scroll down And click ‘Revert to classic themes’ And click “revert to classic themes”.
- Now this is where we’re going to enter our new code So let’s select everything and delete it And paste the code, you copied from the wordpress plugin Then click save theme.
- So now we have setup the redirection And your old blogspot links, will redirect to your new domain.
- So now let’s check if the redirect is working. Let’s go to the old blogspot URL Which is “pctechiblogspot.in” And press ‘enter’ you can see that it redirects to our new website! which is pctechi.com.
Now if someone tries to visit your post through the old link It will take them to the same post, on the new website.
This means you will keep all your existing traffic So that’s it guys! This is how you can move your blogger to WordPress.
Now if you want to start moving your site, just click here And it will take you to the page, where you can get your domain & install WordPress.
Now to see how you can build your website using drag & drop you can read this article.
Also Read : How to Buy a Domain Name
Hope you enjoyed reading this article about How to Move from Blogger to WordPress website.
For any further queries or suggestions you can write down to us below or contact us here.